ALLISON SARGENT EVENTS

ALLISON SARGENT EVENTS
Click Here for StressLESS Planning

CLICK HERE FOR FREE TRIAL DANCE LESSON!

CLICK HERE FOR FREE TRIAL DANCE LESSON!
Anchor Dance Studio 201-265-6100

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Inspiration::: We all Need it! Dance, A Healthy, Fun Way to Love Yourself.



Hello My little Bloggie Readers!

Ever sit back in your cubicle/office/class room and feel like you've lost yourself in your job, career or everyday life? Sick of living that 9-5 mundane work-life.... where you're so tired by the time you get home that the gym seems like hell and all you can think about is food...TV and bed? Or a stay-at-home mom... where you've been chasing the kids around all day and barely finished any house work when suddenly it's dinner time and you need to cook, finish the laundry and make sure your son doesn't burn the house down? Whatever your story may be, we all have had that moment were we realize we lost the child in us... the dreamer, the free spirit. I was there, and I find myself there from time to time... I thought to myself, is this it? Is this what adult life is? Waking up the same time everyday, going to a same job, seeing the same people, dealing with the same jerk-off clients/customers...students. Stay late to "get some more work done," then finally get home... hungry, tired... bed. Then wake up and do it all over again. THIS IS NO LIFE TO LIVE. We are human beings, we need love, passion, fun, inspiration, music and to me... that's where dance comes in. For others, it may be the gym, singing, writing, reading- whatever it is that gives you "ME" time. A time to dream and get away from the world because lets face it, the world we live in today, is NOT an easy one.

Where it all Started...
One night I was watching "Dancing with the Stars" with my mom and she said "Christie, I could SO see you shaking your booty on this show." I laughed and thought to myself, "Those things don't happen to people like me." I was right... those things don't HAPPEN to people... people MAKE it happen. As a 26 year old, just trying to find out who I am and where I'm going to be some day... I knew that the chance of being on a show like that was SLIM to none, but Mamma-Bear gave me a GOOD idea. DANCE... that's what I really needed. I don't have to be a super star, I just have to find out WHAT makes me happy and incorporate it into my everyday life in some way. The thought came and went like any dream and I went to bed. The very next night I was at gym, doing my "get this workout over with"- routine, when I saw a girl practicing in the aerobics class room. She was doing some Latin moves and looked absolutely beautiful. I stopped... mid-elliptical and walked toward the window of the fitness room. As I did look like a total creeper, I decided to go in and confront this dancer... "Hi... Um I couldn't help but see you dancing thru the giant window," I giggled at my awkward comment. She looked at me and smiled, "It's salsa, I like to use it as a workout because everything else gets boring after awhile." I laughed because I couldn't agree with her more. I asked her where she had learned to do that and she gave me a couple of local Latin/ballroom dance studios to google. I left the gym that day inspired by a stranger, I googled away and found Anchor Dance Studio, in Oradell, NJ.

Where, HOW to find your Inspiration?
I took dance lessons since I was 3 years old... ballet, jazz, hiphop. I wanted to major in dance in college, but my father told me it was too unstable and I needed to get a "REAL JOB," so I took some dance courses in college and it all dwindled once I got into my major, Advertising. I watched shows like, "So You Think you can Dance" and always knew I had the talent to try out, but I didn't have the drive and I stopped dancing for a few years since college- rusty. I did not pursue dance as a career, but that doesn't mean I can't have it in my life, right?! I look back at my life as a child and it was so amazing, not a care in the world... dance class, soccer, MANHUNT... crushing on my childhood neighbor. That was THE LIFE! Now, at 26 years old, I knew I needed more, I need "ME" time, to feed that INNER child that we all have inside us. Between my mom reminding me my talent in dance and seeing the girl at the gym, I was ready to make some changes. Once I found Anchor Dance Studio, everything began to change.

I went for my first private Latin/Ballroom dance lesson alone (which was strange b/c I always find a wingman for stuff like this), but I had SO much fun and picked up some steps faster than expected. I was embarrassed to go with out my boyfriend, but it turns out that you don't need a partner! My teacher was nice and patient and I worked up a good sweat! After class, I met with the Dance Director to discuss a dance package. She suggested a few dance packages and they seemed a little expensive for my budget. Either the Dance Director was REALLY good at what she does (selling dance)or fate was lending a helping hand, but we connected in a way that she saw, believed and understood my profound excitement for dance. We figured out a small dance package and a payment plan that would work for me... I was IN! After two years of dancing at Anchor Dance Studio, I STILL can't get enough! I became so inspired by my studio that I now help with their advertising and created a facebook fan page to help promote dancing. I want people to feel what I feel when I leave that place, Happy ;)

The Perfect Vessel
Everyone at Anchor Dance Studio was so encouraging, funny and nice! I quickly became friends with some of the teachers and students. I found a NEW place to let my guard down and allow my stress to melt away. A vessel where I could be goofy and laugh... with new friends outside of my college friends and family. I had my own little dance family, that I look forward to seeing every time I have a dance class. Anchor Dance Studio has some amazing talented teachers, but the best part of it all is that the teachers love what they are doing and their goal is to make sure everyone feels free and is having fun, which is EXACTLY what a person needs in his/her life, besides work and home life. So think about that thing you USED to love as a kid... baseball, rock climbing, paint ball and go do it, you have nothing to lose. Isn't that what life is all about anyway, it's the GOOD STUFF and sometimes we all lose sight of it. If you can't do an activity you enjoy, than find a way to get involved. If you can't play football, then find out where schools need a coach, assistant coach.... you don't need to have your passion be your job. Sometimes... a hobby that gives you "ME" time is just enough!

One Small Change Can Last Forever!
I know there are advertisements for this dance studio all over my page and this whole blog is based around dance, but this story is about something MORE than that. I hope you read this and get that twinge in your heart like when you watch a really good movie, hear an inspiring song or see a perfectly beautiful painting. That nostalgic feeling when you see an old friend from grade school or catch a glimpse of two kids giggling as they chase each other down a driveway. Our lives are short... jam-packed, stressful and we seem to put too much value on how much money we make, or who we impress. Through dance and finding "ME" time, I've learned that there is a lot more to life than money and stature. Now I go to work everyday and the excitement for my dance class lingers, which gets me through a hard day's work. I leave the office anticipating how great it will be to see my dance friends, learn some new moves and get a good work out. I leave Anchor Dance Studio with grace, inspiration and a feeling like, I've fed my soul today."

What can YOU do to feed the hunger of your soul? If you feel jaded or are missing something in your life, I think you should write down all the things you miss as a child.... sleigh riding, biking... rollar bladesss!!! OR maybe something you've never tried before!? Give your soul a reminder that you still love the child inside you and the most important step is to pick something on your list and DO IT. NO EXCUSES because you're never too old, too tired, Inexperienced, there's always a way to start. The only way your life will change is if you DO something about it. Start with a list and see where it takes you. Learn how to snow board, take an art class... dance like no one's watching, feed your passion because that feeling we get is really who WE ARE. It's what makes us happy. I... am happy even though I don't have my dream job and I'm not on a dance show (which I so should be) lol... Just playing, but on a serious note- I'm happy because I found a way to give myself activities I love.

So, for me... Dance has brought me back to my childhood, a glorious time in my life I will never forget. What brings you back? What makes smile... What are YOU missing in your life? I wish you all the best in finding your inner child. ;)

P.S-
If you are interested in trying dance as a hobby, I must tell you that at Anchor Dance Studio there are all ages, genders and sizes... with or without a partner and dance classes such as salsa, bachata, samba, tango, swing, waltz, hustle, foxtrot and more! ANYONE can do it, Contact me if you ARE INTERESTED. I also suggest that people try out the newest workout classes that really seem to be on the rise- if fitness is what you are looking for... POWER STRIKE, BOXING and ZUMBA are all fun workouts that make you FEEL GOOD. Zumba is available at Anchor Dance Studio.

My next adventure: I haven't been skiing in over 10 years, I want to get by butt out on the slopes before the spring and see if I still got it in me! Maybe even snow board?

Thanks for reading!
Xo- Miss CJ

1 comment: